Each industry has its own terminology, here are some common terms, technology and information you might hear about during a restoration project.


Institute of Inspection Cleaning & Restoration Certification

IICRC is a non-profit organization that certifies and sets the standards in the disaster restoration industry. CORE Restoration has IICRC technicians making sure mitigations are performed to the highest standards.

Central Washington Homebuilders Association

IICRC is a non-profit organization that certifies and sets the standards in the disaster restoration industry. CORE Restoration has IICRC technicians making sure mitigations are performed to the highest standards.


Air Mover

Equipment used to increase air circulation, which speeds up water evaporation and reduces drying time. This is not your grandma's box fan! They are specifically designed for our field of work and we are certified to know where each unit needs placed to efficiently dry your home or office's layout.


Removes high volumes of water from carpet. The quicker we can get the water out, the better, and this puppy can help us be even more efficient.


Equipment that removes moisture out of the air. Usually seen hanging out with air movers.

Moisture Meter

Also called a hygrometer. Used to locate and measure the moisture content of the structure, the structural components, and contents. It is extremely helpful in finding the sneaky, most damaging moisture. We use this many times to track the drying process.

Air Scrubbers

Cleans the air indoors to remove pollutants and remove odor.


An agent that kills microorganisms. Mold can develop in as little as 24 hours when there is lots of moisture and warmth present. This is sprayed onto water damaged areas to stop and discourage mold growth. We use Concrobium brand which is safe for people and animals to be around, and since we are people too--we like that a lot.

Working Terminology


Refers to wastewater that contains sewage or toxic chemicals.

Floating the Carpet

Floating the carpet means after water is mostly removed, lifting the carpet, removing the pad, and drying it out in place with air movers.


Refers to wastewater from things like bathing, dish and hand washing, laundry, etc. It is not clean water, nor is it toxic.

Demolition or Demo

The process of taking down and removing damaged materials.

Flood Cuts

Cut outs in the drywall about 12-18 inches above where the flooding stopped. This gets rid of damage, stops moisture from wicking up the wall further, and allows our air movers to bring circulation to hidden places. It is often the moisture you cannot see that causes the most problems later. Flood cuts may look dramatic but they are an effective way to dry out your property quickly.


Delamination of carpet is what can happen when water causes the layers of the carpet to separate from each other. Major delamination requires a replacement of the carpet.


What we do to isolate the damaged portion from any unaffected areas while we perform the necessary mitigation and/or repairs. This prevents the spread of contaminated materials, helps our equipment run most efficiently, and keeps dust out of the rest of your home or office. This is usually done by setting up a barrier of plastic sheeting.


Your personal property not actually part of the house or building itself.

Insurance, Job & Policy

Insurance Claim

An insurance claim is the request you, the policyholder, make to your insurance company for the compensation of losses and to repair damaged areas. You do not need to have a claim already started for us to begin remediation or mitigation work.


A Washington state required document that must be signed before work can begin. It is to notify the owner of the property that we are providing labor and/or materials to improve the property and there is a requirement of payment for these services. Basically, it is saying you agree to pay for the work done.

Insurance Agent

The person who represents your insurance company. They sold you the policy. You would contact them to start the claim process. We can be referred by your agent, but we are not hired by them; we work for you.


The portion of money you are responsible to pay before insurance will pay for a claim. This is determined by the insurance policy you purchased. When in doubt, ask your insurance agent.

Insurance Adjuster

The person assigned by the insurance company to your specific claim opened on a policy. The adjuster is the primary person who will know about your claim and coverage as it pertains to your loss.


Mitigate, mitigation, or mit means reducing the severity of damage from flood, sewage, mold, fire and water damage and the removal of compromised materials. Mitigation is separate from reconstruction. The reconstruction needs estimating, permits, and insurance adjuster approvals--mitigation does not.

Work Authorization

A document signed by the property owner giving us permission to be on the property doing the requested work. It also gives us the ability to communicate with your insurance company and adjuster.


Restoration for us means taking a property that was damaged and getting it back to how it was before a loss happened, and in many cases it is better than before. Every one likes a good before and after picture, and here at CORE Restoration, we also like the parts in between those pictures. Helping you when you need it most is why we exist.